Within my private practice and the Let Go & Grow program, there are certain core principles and practices I come back to and draw from, time and time again. In a world filled with shiny objects, I’ve found nothing more refreshing than the tried and true. Because when something works, it simply works and that is what makes it profound.
Cue the heart based practice.
The heart based practice embodies simplicity, and it has become a fundamental piece of my healing protocol because of its ability to shift your experience in a moment- allowing you to opt out of old, outdated patterns and choose anew.
Over the years, I’ve found this exercise to be one of the most practical ways to interrupt patterns of distress and rewire the nervous system to a more relaxed, calm and connected state, where you can begin to heal in a direct way.
In this article, I will walk you through each step so that you can begin to tap into your heart’s center and reconnect with this space to process, reflect and increase awareness around your own unique journey, desires, and life experiences.
The History, Science & Importance of the Heart
When you begin to form a relationship with your heart, you begin to reclaim your innate power, intuition, and divine intelligence, all of which play a pivotal role in the healing process and in forming a relationship with yourself and others.
Throughout history and across cultures, the power and wisdom of the heart have been revered and well known. Chinese Medicine, specifically, has seen the heart as the master of the mind, since inception, because of its ability to influence our perception, thoughts, and feelings and thus our choices, physiology, and life experiences- leading to more connection, harmony, health, happiness, and other high vibe, expansive states.
Now, modern day research backs this up and gives us more direct ways to enter into this flow state. Here is one of my favorite video resources to visualize the power of the heart as a pathway to personal, social and global coherence.
The Heart Based Practice
In this exercise, we can apply this ancient wisdom and use it as an opportunity to intentionally go within, connect, quiet the mind, regulate the brain and tap into our heart center. The moment you opt out of your head and into your heart, the transformation begins- because now those recycled thoughts, feelings and experiences have somewhere to go and a way to clear. In essence, you opt out of autopilot and into expansion and growth.
Ready? let’s begin!
It’s important to mention that there is not a time limit on this exercise. In fact, the beauty is that you can use it anytime, anywhere by simply choosing to connect with your heart. In this way, I recommend that you do what works best for you, whether you choose to practice this exercise for 30 seconds or 3 plus minutes, you can still receive the many benefits it has to offer. However, it is important to be consistent, committed, and above all, present- because like any practice, it won’t work without you.
Here are the steps.
- Focus: First, focus on your heart by intentionally placing both hands over the center of your chest or directly over your heart. Choose to go within and feel your heartbeat. Be the observer as you pay attention to the rhythm and feel what you actually feel.
- Breathe: Once your focus is centered, slowly and deeply breathe into your heart, inhale and exhale from your heart.
- Embrace & Thank: Once you feel relaxed and present, it is time to embrace what is and thank it. Choose to appreciate this moment as you thank what is coming up and allow the waves of appreciation and gratitude to flow through, wash over and expand your entire life experience.
- Cultivate: Now that you have created a beautiful state of being, allow appreciation to work for you by expanding upon it. Summon your intention and experience what you desire to create for your life. Hold this for a moment, remind yourself that you have everything within you, and then let go and allow this experience to propel you throughout the day.
- Affirmation: “I choose to appreciate this moment!” Finally, feel free to use this affirmation as a reminder to appreciate each moment and to immediately shift it. Appreciation means to up the value of, and by choosing to connect, return to the moment and appreciate your life, you can finally begin to make the most out of your experiences.
It’s important to note, that the first step is by far the most important. From there, you can get creative about how you use this practice within the context of your life and healing journey.
Lastly, in the comments, I would love to hear from you!
- How was your experience with this exercise?
- Do you feel more connected and at peace?
- How was your experience with the affirmation?
- Did you notice any immediate shifts or changes?
For more information, support and a tried and true springboard that can help you address the fundamentals and put these principles into practice, you can check out the Let Go & Grow program. We would love to have you in there! This is the exact process I teach my patients and apply in my own life, and have seen time and time again become a catalyst for radiant health, freedom and a life lived true to you.