What Is Red Light Therapy?
Light therapy, also known as photobiomodulation, is a natural, non-invasive therapy option that shines beneficial wavelengths of light onto your skin to treat wrinkles, scars, wounds, among other conditions. While there has been proven evidence to show that red light therapy (RLT) is a promising treatment for certain conditions, there is still a lot of research to be done to learn more about how this specific therapy option works. Full-spectrum light includes many colors, including certain wavelengths that are not visible to the human eye, but only a select range of red and near-infrared light is clinically proven to be therapeutic for the purposes of light therapy. Genuine and high-quality light therapy products emit specific wavelengths of red and near-infrared (NIR) light using medical-grade LED technology. These LEDs give off clinical doses of light to your skin and unlike other laser therapies or tanning beds, RLT devices omit any heat, excess UV rays, harmful chemicals, and any major side effects.
How Does Red Light Therapy Work + How Is It Used?
Research has shown that red light produces a biochemical effect in cells that strengthen the mitochondria (where the cell’s energy is created). By increasing the function of the mitochondria, a cell can make more ATP (adenosine triphosphate), the energy-carrying molecule found in cells of all living things. With more ATP, cells can function more efficiently, rejuvenate themselves, and repair damage.
Red light has the ability to penetrate the top layer of skin (without any damage to tissue) and into the deep levels of skin- the dermis. The dermis is where collagen, elastin and other proteins inhabit. There is still a lot of clinical research to be done about RLT, but at the moment there is evidence suggesting that red light therapy may have the following benefits:
- promotes tissue repair and stimulates the healing of wounds
- improves hair growth in people with androgenic alopecia
- short-term treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome
- reduces psoriasis
- ideal for mild treatment of acne
- helps with short-term pain relief and inflammation
- improves skin complexion by building collagen to diminish wrinkles and scars
- helps heal damage caused by the sun
- heals cold sores
- improves the health of joints
RLT can be performed in a professional setting or with an at-home device. These tools often come in a large variety of shapes such as handheld wands, stand-up panels, in the form of a face mask, full-body bed, and caps. Many salons, gyms, and spas offer red light therapy for cosmetic and muscle recovery applications. You may find FDA-approved devices online that you can purchase and use personally at home, but make sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully! Listed below are some RLT options for at-home use.
At-Home Red Light Therapy Options
- Mito Red Light: This company offers three product lines. the Mito Red Original provides power and value, MitoMOD has the modular capability to build out a larger setup, and the MitoPRO comes with integrated control panels with additional features. See all of their products right here and use our link for 5% off!
- iRestore Hair Growth System: A clinically-proven, FDA-cleared laser technology device that covers the whole scalp, including hard-to-reach areas to help with hair growth. Models are made for both men and women! This low-level laser technology has been clinically shown to treat hair loss and help regrow hair.
- Vital Red Light: This RLT company offers handheld light therapy, half-body light therapy, and full-body light therapy options. There is no setup required with these products, just switch on your device, aim it at the part of your body you wish to treat, and relax for 10 minutes. Make sure to use code drbrookestuart for 15% off your purchase!
Please keep in mind that results will vary from person to person and they are typically subtle after your initial sessions using red light therapy. The current research appears that this type of treatment is promising, but more studies are needed to determine how exactly red light therapy works and how it can be most beneficial to people using it.
For extra support and the opportunity to connect with others, please check out Let Go & Grow®’s Mind Body Reset. In the Mind Body Reset, Dr. Brooke Stuart will be there to guide you through every step of the way, healing your system through fundamental shifts in mindset, diet, lifestyle, and other natural methods. You will also be able to engage in an elimination provocation diet to personalize and tailor a diet that works for you.
We want to also offer you our Free Let Go & Grow® Membership where we offer many holistic resources for free, including the heart based practice, our signature 3 min. meditation, and a wellness workshop designed to optimize mental health. We also have free forums that you can participate in, starting conversations, and asking any questions that you may have!
You can also schedule a free 20 min. holistic consultation with Dr. Brooke Stuart- we would love to help you in any way that we can and hope to connect with you soon!