What Is Long COVID (Post-COVID)?
Some individuals may continue to experience health issues long after they have been infected with COVID-19. These ongoing health issues are sometimes referred to as post-COVID-19 syndrome, post-COVID condition, long COVID-19, long-haul COVID-19, and post acute sequelae of SARS COV-2 infection (PASC). Studies have shown that about 10% of people infected with COVID-19 will experience long-haul symptoms. The most commonly reported symptoms of post-COVID-19 include:
- Respiratory symptoms (including difficulty breathing, shortness of breath and coughing)
- Neurological symptoms or mental health conditions (including difficulty concentrating, brain fog, headaches, sleep issues, dizziness, pins & needles feeling, loss of smell/taste, mood changes, depression, and anxiety)
- Joint or muscle pains
- Heart conditions (including chest pain and rapid heart rates)
- Digestive symptoms (including stomach pain and diarrhea)
- Blood clots and blood vessel issues
- Other symptoms such as rashes and sudden changes in menstrual cycles
It can be hard to distinguish if you are having symptoms due to COVID-19 or another cause such as a pre-existing medical condition, so it is important to note when your symptoms started, what makes your symptoms worse, how often you experience symptoms, and how your symptoms affect your daily activities. For more on tracking symptoms, please feel free to check out our article here on managing pain through journaling.
Long COVID (Post-COVID) Resources
Please keep in mind that we are not giving any recommendations in this article, we are just gathering resources that we’ve been drawing upon for our practice and would love to share them here for everyone to access. The National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) is funding research studies to help improve our understanding of long COVID. Read more about long COVID research on the NIHR website. If you have any additional resources that you would like to add to this list, feel free to email us at email@example.com to continue the conversation!
- Long COVID or Post-COVID Conditions From Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Post COVID Fatigue
- Possible Adrenal Involvement in Long COVID Syndrome
- Distinguishing Features of Long COVID Identified Through Immune Profiling
- Mitochondrial Impairment In Long COVID-19
- Long COVID, Vagus Nerve Symptoms May Overlap
- Integrative Medicine: Long COVID Treatment – UF Health
- The Institute For Functional Medicine: The Functional Medicine Approach to COVID-19
- COVID Long-Haulers: Questions Patients Have About Symptoms
- What Is Functional Medicine?
- A Practical Guide To Supplements- Favorite Brands, Philosophy & Function
- The Heart Based Practice, A Simple 3 Min. Meditation
- Diet Philosophy: Drop The Dogma & Discover What Works For YOU
- Diet Philosophy Part II: On Personalization
- Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Diet
- Resistant Starch Made Practical
Resources From Dr. Brooke Stuart / Let Go & Grow®
- For more holistic resources, sign up for our Free Let Go & Grow® Membership, where you will receive instant access to the heart based practice, a simple 3 min. meditation, a wellness workshop designed to optimize mental health & well-being, and so much more.
- For Let Go & Grow Publishing House books including the LG&G Holistic Guide Book, LG&G Journal, and the children’s book series Let’s Grow With Zo, check here.
- For more information, support and a tried and true springboard that can help you address the fundamentals and unlock your power to heal, make sure to schedule a free holistic consultation and check out our Let Go & Grow® Mind Body Reset, a 6 week reset program. To learn more about holistic healthcare and working with Dr. Brooke in private practice, check here.